"Please stop Crony capitalism-nization in Myanmar Now!"
Sunday, August 12, 2012

Education After High School in Myanmar

Congratulations, Alumna!!!
Now, what will you do for your future? Browse through this section and find out what you want to do in the next few years and longer because opportunities are limitless for you. Learn a new language, improve your computer skills, and go and get a degree in Myanmar or in another country.
What you decide will be based on what your interests are, what your capabilities are, where you want to spend the next few years of your life or longer, and how much you want to spend for your education. If you need advice, ask people who have gone through the same situation, listen to their advice, and think for yourself. Please do not choose a major based on what somebody decides for you. Please do not choose a major because of its popularity either. Major in something that interests you the most. You will get a degree at the end anyway. But if you choose something that you like, you will at least enjoy studying and may at least learn something useful. Your chances of getting into a Masters degree program will also increase this way. If you still have trouble deciding what you should do, write to us. Our international alumnae will give you advice based on their experiences.

Universities and Colleges in Myanmar

All accredited universities and colleges in Myanmar are run by the Government. These degree programs are run by respective ministries. Under the Ministry of Education, there are two departments of education, each one responsible for providing university and college education in lower Myanmar and upper Myanmar. These universities and colleges in major cities confer B.A. and B.Sc. degrees in various disciplines. The Ministry of Health is responsible for the Institute of Medicine I and II, Institute of Dental Medicine, etc.. The Ministry of Science and Technology is in charge of Yangon Institute of Technology, formerly know as RIT, Mandalay Institute of Technology, and Institute of Computer Science and Technology. Likewise, Ministries such as the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation oversees the Institute of Agriculture and the Ministry of Culture runs the Institute of Culture. Myanma Aerospace Engineering and Myanmar Maritime University was also opened recently by the Ministry of Transportation.
There are also other government-owned training colleges and vocational study schools throughout the country. An example is the Cooperative Degree College (Yangon) under the Ministry of Cooperatives jointly offer diploma courses in Applied Computer Technology and Foreign Language (English) with the International Academy Association (IAA) of the Republic of Korea.
Here is a list of colleges and universities most students from Yangon attend, the degrees they confer and how long it takes for each degree under the best circumstances.

Universities and Colleges Abroad

If you are adventurous, want to explore the world, and decide to study abroad, there are even more opportunities. Depending on the amount of time you spend to prepare for your study abroad experience will decide where you end up spending a good amount of money, energy, and time for your degree. Studying abroad is not easy, however, it will give you a whole new perspective on the world we live in, and your end product, i.e., your degree, will be more marketable in the global marketplace. Nonetheless, you must make sure that the degree you will be earning is worth your time, efforts, and money.
You must also know the difference between schools, programs, and degrees and diplomas they offer. For example, a one-year IDCS diploma is not comparable to a three-year Singapore polytechnic diploma. Similarly, the three-year polytechnic diploma is not comparable to a three-year B.Sc. or a B.A. program from UK or Australia or another country. Though the time spent may be the same, a bachelor degree is generally more valuable than a polytechnic diploma. However, if you already have a degree from an accredited institution, an additional one-year diploma can help you go much farther in most cases.
Preparation for your foreign educational experience will differ from region to region and program to program. For instance, if you are going to UK or Australia, you will need to sit for GCE O-level exams and A-level exams on top of the IELTS. If you plan to go to North America, you will have to take the TOEFL and SATs. Also, you will have to write essays and apply to programs of your choice a year in advance. Of course, there are other ways you can go around to get your foreign degree by studying in Yangon or Singapore for the first two years and spend the last year in UK or Australia, etc. Either way, we advise that you start your preparation process as soon as you can if you want to study abroad even if it is just across the border in Thailand or India.
Don't forget to inquire about passport and visa applications etc..
Again, if you need more information, ask people who have gone through the same situation. Also, look at our "Education Beyond Myanmar" section and other links we have provided for more information. Specific school web pages will also give you the school-specific information. If you still need more information, please do not hesitate to write to us. We will give you the best information we can.

Language and Training Centers in Yangon

Whether you plan to stay in Myanmar or study abroad, you should improve your English language skills. The use of English in the global marketplace is unavoidable. You must be able to communicate well to be able to get a job you deserve and work with your colleagues efficiently. Therefore, you must work hard to improve your language skills whatever the language may be. If you can, do not wait until you finish high school to improve your language skills. Research indicates that our human brain is better at learning languages before the age of 16.
Other courses in accounting, business skills, computer, and other languages, etc., are also helpful when you apply for a job or go abroad. However, we would like to advise you to have more focus on whatever you are doing. If you are taking LCCI accounting classes, take it until you can confidently say, "I know accounting." If you're learning French, continue taking classes until you master the highest level. Sure, you can take many courses at the same time, but be good at what you do. It is never too bad to be good at many things.
Here is a list of our favorite places to learn the skills you need for career advancement. (We do not have any business affiliation with these schools or centers.)

Language Courses

Take as many classes as you can. No single teacher/ place will give you all the knowledge you need to become proficient. A general rule of thumb is that plenty of exposure to the language is good. Below are just a few good places to start. There are so many other good schools that we cannot possibly list here.

American Center Library
581, Merchant Street, KTDA, Yangon. Ph: 282-055.

American English Center
69 (A) Room 24, First Floor, Yangon-Insein Road, Hlaing Township, Yangon. Ph: 640-225.

British Council, Cultural Center
78 Strand Rd., Corner of 40th Street, KTDA, Yangon. Ph: 256-290, 256-291, 254-658, 245-345.

Cyberenglish Center
Yangon Institute of Education, Pyay Rd., Yangon. Ph: 527075, 722932 Ext. 222

USIS Information Resource Center
14 Taw Win Rd., Dagon Township, Yangon. Ph: 223-106, 223-140

Y.E.S. Language Education Center
119 Bogalayzay Street, Botahtaung Township, Yangon. Tel: 245-821.

Alliance Francaise de Rangoun
340 Pyay Rd., Myay Ni Gone (Northern) Ward, Sanchaung, Yangon. Ph: 536900, 537122.

(If you have a degree from an accredited university and pass the DSH, which is the German University Entrance Exam, you can work on your Masters or PhD. in Germany without paying any tuition.)

Dr. Kyin Pine
149 Third Floor, Lanmadaw Street, Ward 7, LMDW, Yangon. Ph: 245-785, 245-842.

Hoshi Foreign Languages and Education Center
10, First Floor, Hledan Street, Ward 3, Kamayut Township, Yangon.
Win Japanese Language School (They can advise you on studying in Japan with scholarship opportunities.)
No. 278, Theinbyu Rd., Botahtaung Township, Yangon. Ph: 294-613

Multi Japanese Language School by Mr. Seiichi Nakamura
No. 11, 5th Floor, Seitta-thuka Street, Kyauk-myaung, Tamwe Township, Yangon. Ph: 540-721

Business, Computer, and Other Courses

ACE Data Systems
No. 50, 31st Street, Pabedan Township, Yangon. Ph: 204-009, 246-582, 652-270, 652-239.

55-57, First Floor, Seik-kan-thar Street, KTDA, Yangon. Ph: 249-264, 249-265

MAA Professional Training Center (They have student loans and internship programs.)
337 Shwe Bon Tha Ye Yeiktha, Units 12 and 24, First Floor, Shwe Bon Tha Street, PBDN.
Ph: 250-501, 250-502

Management and Accountancy Training (MAT)
165 Shwe Bon Tha Street, Ward 4, PBDN, Yangon. Ph: 242-431, 241-713, 296-781.

Third Floor, Shwe Dagon Pagoda Rd., Theingyi Zay, Shed (C), Ward 2, PBDN, Yangon.
Ph: 280-699, 243-758, 703-204.

Thames Management Center
No. 220-222 Botahtaung Pagoda Rd., KTDA, Yangon. Ph: 200-343, 203-188, 296-829.

Informatics Computer Center
No. 70 (B) Shwegonedaing Rd. Bahan, Yangon. Ph: 558-360, 706-740.
No. 220-222 Botahtaung Pagoda Rd., KTDA, Yangon. Ph: 200-343, 703-181.

Nawarat Education (They have scholarships to go to UK.)
82, Third Floor, Anawrahta Street, Ward 8, KTDA, Yangon. Ph: 250225, 243974, 250150.

Education Consultation Services

If you are totally clueless about education abroad but would like to get more information, you should consult these consultation services. Some of them are free of charge but some may ask for a small fee. The ones below have free consultation services.

Overseas Studies Management Center
No. 220-222 Botahtaung Pagoda Rd., Pazundaung, Yangon. Ph: 200-343, 203-188, 703-181.

Unique Educare
150/C Dhamazedi Rd., Shwe Gone Daing West Ward, Bahan, Yangon. Ph: 526-340, 282-407, 524-640.


Leave a Reply